Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Departure: T minus 7 hours

What an exhausting day. Where to begin?

Mom, Dad,and myself headed into Jacksonville for the day and evening. We ran some random errands around town (that of course included Stein-Mart and a really cute pair of flip flops) and Firehouse Subs. Then we ran errands with Pila. That was an adventure but we had fun!

I thought I was already "packed." Turns out, Dad and I had to take out HALF our clothes because 1)our suitcases were over the 50 lb weight limit and 2)Pila said so. Dad and I were limited to 8 pairs of underwear each. I snuck in an extra 3 pairs because you know sometimes you go through 2 pairs of underwear a day! Or I do atleast. But no worries, we do have a washer and dryer at the apartment. Thank the Lord. So I'll be washing underwear every 5 days pretty much!

Our packing turned into 3 hours. I was so frustrated. Dad was frustrated (some of his shirts were "too loud" and "not allowed in the apartment" according to Pila). We got everything situated (hopefully). Then tomorrow morning, we're off to Miami!

We're leaving Jax at 5 AM to drive to Miami, which will put us there at about 12:30. Our flight leaves out of Miami at 4:00 (our time) and we'll land in Colombia at 7:00 (our time). They are an hour behind us so it'll really be 8:00. Not too bad, I don't guess. Just a long day.

Papi asked if I cooked. HA! He said he had 2 cans of sardines from a year ago at the apartment. You know what that means? We're going to LA TIENDA! (the store) I'm not sure how I'm going to survive the next 3 1/2 weeks. I'll find something or if anything else, I might just lose a little bit of weight. Wouldn't that be nice? But then again, we thought I would lose weight in Venzuala when I went in 9th grade but I think I gained weight...

It's surreal that I'm going to Colombia. I was talking to Dad about it last night after our excursion to Barnes & Noble and this is a pretty big important trip. There's a lot of pressure to meet family, getting to know them and the bakeries. And p.s. My spanish Sucks. So that's going to be interesting. But mom bought me "Spanish on C.D." so I'm going to load them onto my iPod and maybe pick up a little bit here and there...

I'm just ready to be there! Thre are things in life that I wish I could bypass (such as the dating game--or the beginning at least) and one thing I wish I could bypass would be packing and traveling. I mean, I love traveling--don't get me wrong! Being on the plane and everything. But the stress and the headache. Our family makes such a simple task the most complicated thing! (i.e. Choosing where to eat for dinner: We started discussing it at 5. What time did we go? 8:30. Where did we go? Some random crap hispanic food where I ate steak with a fried egg. Yum). Anyways, not to complain...just venting!

I'm going to end it here. I'm super tired. And I want to get in the shower and finish reading my book. (The Nanny Diaries...great book. This is my 2nd book I'm on since Monday).

I'll try to update tomorrow on our travels. Papi says he has internet at the apartment but he said that he had it here at the house and Dad and I ended up hacking into the system so that he could use it. Crazy.

Pray for us. That's all I can say.

No comments: