Monday, August 13, 2007

!Fiesta! all weekend long...

Let's see, where to begin?

With it being the flower festival, it's been a pretty busy weekend! The flower festival is a huge there in Medellin and they celebrate it all weekend. The only downside of it is that instead of people leaving the city to go to "las fincas" or the farms on the weekend, everyone stayed in town so traffic was pretty crazy this weekend.

Friday we just pretty much hung around the city. I don't recall us doing anything major. We went and ate at the club with Beatrice that night but I recall that being the only thing we really did...


Oh! I did get a mani and pedi! Papi has a professional come to his apartment and give him one, so after some coaxing, I got one! I'm not a big "pedi" person because I'm really ticklish on my feet and not held responsible for my reflexes when you touch my feet. But I did good! I refrained and got through it successfully.

Saturday I went to the "horse parade" with Elena and some of her friends. It's a parade of horses needless to say and half of the people drink and ride the horses so their drunk throughout the whole parade. Picture Carolina Cup Colombia style. Except, no one really dressed up in dresses--the girls wore tight jeans, boots, halter tops, and cowboy hats. And of course, there were so many people there and they were drunk and you couldn't really walk through the crowds...I probably saw 10 horses in the parade because I didn't have a good view. I saw more horses on the street than I did at the parade! Needless to say, Elena got very mad at the crowd and the crappiness of it in some way soo we left to get a late lunch.

Papi and Dad just informed me that at the horse parade there were a couple fights. A guy and his girlfriend were riding on a horse and someone said something to them, got in a fight, and a gun was pulled which resulted in a death or two. Yikes.

That night we went and ate at Camilo (Elena and all of them---their dad's) house for dinner. Of course, Camilo, Papi, Dad and my other cousin Carlos love spicy things sooo of course, we had "spicy shrimp and sauce" for dinner. But luckly for the rest of us, they had "milder" shrimip and sauce for us babies, which was still pretty spicy. It was good non the less though.

Afterwards, Elena, Ana, and myself met up with some of their friends at a discoteca (latin dance club). It was like a mexican dance club in a barn but fairly nice. It was quite an experience I must say so myself. Apparently, I don't have the latin rythm like the rest of them. My hips and feet don't really sway together. Ana had a friend there...we'll call him Juan--I can't remember what his name was that tried to teach me how to dance. But the tricky thing is that he didn't speak english so communicating was pretty funny. He kept telling me in spanish that I had pretty teeth and mouth and squeezing my cheeks to make me smile. Did I mention he was pretty drunk? But quite hilarious. We danced for a long time but then a fight broke out about 12 feets away from us that included broken bottles and tables so we decided it was time to hit the road and leave. I got home around 2 AM, which isn't bad. But I was exhausted...party! party! party! sleep. That's all they do.

Sunday, or yesterday, we went to the Flower Festival Parade which was the whole point of this trip. It started at 1:00...well supposidly. But when we got there, come to find out that we were at the wrong entrance. They are certain entrances for certain numbers on your ticket. So we had to go alllll the way around the street to the other side. On the way, we bought me a hat I had been wanting but it was too small. Hah. So I have a small Colombian hat now! We finally got to our gate and we had a seat at the bleachers. On one side of the street you could just come, and stand or sit and watch the parade. On the other side, you could have bought tickets in advance and sat at the bleachers. Well, we got there, and waited, and waited, and waited...for 3 hours or so until we saw the parade. The parade is over a mile long so it took them a long time to get to us. I was about to fall asleep waiting for them! But the parade was beautiful and interesting.














We didn't do anything else the rest of the day. We just came back here to the apartment about 6 or so and stayed the rest of the night. Dad's been sick soo he needed to rest. Poor baby.

Then today, we went shopping. Finally! I couldn't really find anything I was looking for specifically. All the clothes here are smaller and the girls like to wear them tighter than I like too. But I found a few shirts. AND--(I was really excited about this) a Coach purse for $45 and a Lousi Vitton for $60. Amazing! I was really excited!! Well, they're not the REAL thing, but you can't tell. Those are my favorite purchases by far....

And now, I'm not doing a whole lot. Anticipating returning home that's for sure.

No comments: