Thursday, August 9, 2007

We have arrived. Finally.

Whew!

After looking back on this past week, it's amazing to see and think back to where all and what all we have done since Friday...Saturday...whatever day it was that we left Medellin.

It's been a long trip. And drive. But a good experience. At some points, I admit, I was thinking, "I'm ready to go." But I always instantly realized that I was really lucky to have this opportunity to travel parts of Colombia and see parts of Colombia that a lot of people will never see--heck there were parts of the country that my grandfather had never seen until this week! And it was beautiful.

San Agustin was amazing. I think I would have enjoyed it more if I was more up to par health wise and we weren't so pushed for time. We only spent a day there but my grandfather says that there is so much more to see. He wanted to travel farther south of Colombia but....we didn't do that. Maybe another trip.

Bogota was ok. Nothing too impressive. The traffic is horrible! We left Bogota at 6 AM this morning and it took us an hour to get out of Bogota. An hour to get out of the city. Is that not crazy? So needless to say we didn't get on the road until 7 AM really. All the fumes and stuff from trucks is crazy. I thought Charlotte was bad. But that is nothing. I can't wait to take in a long deep breath of fresh country air.

My stomach has been cramping if you know what I mean. Josh said that he doesn't like to think that about me because girls don't do number 2. I told him I'm on a schedule and it's been disruptive from me not eating enough veggies. I know you're thinking, "Ha what? Jessica eat veggies?" But I'm telling you, I would give my right arm (almost. Ok maybe my pinky toe because it's pretty ugly anyways) to eat some squash, okra, or a good salad. You have to be careful with the veggies down here because alot of times they're not cleaned well enough and still have "junk" of them. I don't know what to call it but they're just not clean enough to eat. Papi told me to take a double laxative. I said I would just try to wait it out.

The drive back from Bogota to Medellin wasn't that bad. Papi and Dad tease me because I slept most of the way down and they joked saying I would sleep most of the way back. I only slept the first 2 hours or so. Then I just kind of dozed in and out because the roads wind back and forth like a dragon tail. Think Highway 5 times 10 worse of curves. And the roads were horrible in some part. Dad did most of the driving (thank the Lord because Papi--he's getting old incase you didn't notice). But we trucked on through. We were all exhausted. At about the last hour or so I put my jacket over my head and fell asleep because I couldn't stand to watch my dad pass truckers on curves anymore because I know one hit and we would be over that side of the mountain and I would be meeting Jesus tonight.

But God decided to keep me here a little bit longer so we made it back ok.

Tonight we went and ate at Club Union, which is beside the apartment. We dressed up (somewhat) and went and had a good meal. I had a Ceaser Salad (yummmmmmmm) and Almond Trout. It was delish!

But I can say that I cannot wait to have...
--Sweet TEA!!
--Chicken Salad
--Grilled Chicken (In case I haven't mentioned it, Chicken is very expensive down here so it's hard to find and eat. But I don't know why. They have chickens running all over the place everywhere you go)
--THE BEACON. Mom was talking about it tonight and I envied her.
--Outback Cheesie Fries as Scott and India call them.
--My BIG BED. And I know Dad feels the same way. Poor thing has been sleeping in a little twin bed the last 2 weeks.

I cannot wait to carry on normal conversations in English (I mean I do with my dad and some of my cousins but it's different...)...Hear people's voices....watch a movie in English (I've done that some but I really want to see a few movies when I get back)...see my friends and family...

Don't get me wrong. I have enjoyed my trip! I don't want to seem like I'm complaining. It's just a lot going on and me being sick on and off hasn't helped (because I'm a baby when I get sick. Blame it on Mom, Dad, and Jason always taking care of me when I got sick). But I can say I'm looking forward to getting on that plane and landing in the United States. Because a lot has happened while I've been gone and all the good stuff happens when I'm away! I'm ready to be back and making my 'rounds!

I have so many more thoughts to add but I think I'm just going to end it here and put some pictures up. I'll udpate tomorrow because here, the internet connection is way better than Bogota.

Once again, thanks for the prayers! I think an angel sat in the backseat and in the driver seat the whole trip to keep us safe. I love and miss everyone!


Me playing pretty at the park in San Agustin.


Luce, Myself, Dad and Papi at the River Magdalena. It is the river that runs from the top of Colombia to the bottom pretty much. The Spanish settlers used this river to settle up and down Colombia. Where the narrowest point of the river is at is in San Agustin so we we got to climb down there and take a few pictures.


The narrow point of the river.


Can you see the face in the carved in the rock?


What else do you see?? This was a river area in San Agustin that the Indians had created and carved images and faces in the rocks. The water still flows there but they only run the water half the day now because the water is weathering away the carvings and what not. But you can see still a good bit.


THESE are the students we met in San Agustin. I know yesterday I mentioned them in my blog and stuck a picture of an orchid there and I didn't realize it until it was too late. Whops! So here they are!



It's Speedy Gonzalez! I'm going to own one of these dogs one day.


Here's a chicken! Eat THAT!


And is she just not precious? I always said I was going to adopt a Colombian little girl single (heaven forbid) or married (praying to God).

No comments: